Sunday, July 20, 2008

2008 Champs/A Great Day!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
This was the verse I taught Rachel - oh so many years ago. She hated swim lessons and she kicked and screamed her way through more than one session! I didn't let up - I knew God would give her the ability. I prayed for her, with her, you get the point!I'm happy to say that the Lord did strengthen Rachel and Saturday was proof of His awesome power and the ability He grants through hard work and effort. Rachel walked away with two heat winners and an 8th place (2nd in her heat) on Saturday! We were stoked!!!
Here's the stats:
100 yard Free Style: 1.1690 (improved time of 12.93 seconds)
100 yard Individual Medley 1.2944 (improved time of 5.97 seconds, 8th place overall)
50 yard Breast Stroke: 46.16 (improved time of 3.16 seconds)
Rachel and Bret worked very hard this season. They started late, but they both improved their times and they're a lot stronger than when they started (especially after biking 3.1 miles to and from practice!). Bret didn't have enough meets to make it to champs, but he enjoyed the day with Dad. They rode their bikes down to see us for a little bit. And were privileged to see Rachel win her heat in the 100 yard free!
What we will do now that swim is over? Tomorrow we'll pull some of those neglected weeds, and then Rachel will settle down to Grammar and Science (at her request!) Our regular school year will begin August 4th!
Hope your weekend was as fun filled as ours was!

6 comments:

gma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gma said...

opps, had a typo sorry, and not sure how to fix it. :-) Anyway - as I said - Rachel I am sooo proud of you! I am glad I just made it to see you win the 100 yard free style. Papa and I are so proud of you! Isn't it exciting to see how God rewarded your efforts! We love you papa and gma

Mary and Jim said...

Congratulations, Rachel! Wasn't it worth sticking it out? Enjoy the last couple of weeks of vacation. Sorry for the weeds, Melissa- you thought maybe I had gotten rid of all of them?

Emily Campbell said...

Great Job! I would love to be able to swim that well! I remember kicking and screaming through some piano lessons but I'm so glad my mom made me stick with it! I love playing now!

green eyed girl said...

It looks so fun to be on a swim team. I know when I was small it was fun. I didn't know that you had a birthday. Happy belated birthday! I am sooo out of the loop living so far away.

Basnight said...

great job Rachel!! What a wonderful feeling to accomplish what you have this year in swimming! I proud of you and all your hard work.