Saturday, July 26, 2008

Dinner with an Author

This weekend is the annual home educators conference. From what I've heard our valley puts on one of the best conferences in the country. It's so good that I decided to stay home this year! I love to be encouraged by the speakers, but hate the temptation I face in the exhibit hall to spend money on beautiful books, teacher helps, etc.!! Anyway, in making that decision I knew I was giving up hearing this marvelous woman speak! The children and I studied her history book this year. I am very picky with my history. I don't know if it's discernment or a critical spirit, but I could never find anything I was completely happy with until I read The Mystery of History. We had a fabulous year studying Creation - well, we haven't exactly finished - I think we are almost to Nehemiah! This book was so informative. World history with a special emphasis on God's chosen nation Israel.
Sorry, if I'm rambling - I just love this history program!! Anyway, Amy (my sister) was invited to have dinner with Mrs. Hobar and asked if I would like to come along. Wow! What was I going to say, no? It was a very special evening. I enjoyed Mrs. Hobar's vibrant personality. She is every bit as beautiful as her picture! The best part is now that I've met and spoken with her I've decided not to delay reading the rest of book 1! Just a few things she said made me want to dive into books, 2,3, and 4! Well 4 is not finished yet, but you can bet I'll be praying that God will give her the time and wisdom she needs to complete #4! You can pray for me that God will help me see a way to cover some American History (5th grade standards) and also continue on our journey of The Mystery of History!

2 comments:

Emily Campbell said...

I was just looking at these History books and wondering if it was the History books you had told me about- it was! How fun to get to meet her!

Six in our Crew said...

I might have told you about them. They're the best. It's not the CA History - that one is great cuz it's CA and you can actually go see the places you're learning about!