Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A little more unpacking, lost treasures...

Today has been an unusual day, I don't think I've had one like it in 8 years. After watching a friend's children for an hour, she picked up my four for the afternoon! I caught up on my school records, organized our Robinson curriculum and am in the process of cleaning out a closet. Wow! Wade offered to go get the children and then have them help him get more wood. I'm sure they're thrilled right now! Ha, ha! I was a thoughtful mom and packed them a snack and some water.
So, back to the closet. I stuffed a lot of things in the downstairs closet when we moved in. I'm not saying it will be cleaned out by the end of the day, but I've managed to empty a couple of boxes! What did I find? Read on...While filing CD's I came across this one of a field trip we took last year. This is the Lynx - you can google it for more info. Our school boarded the Lynx one afternoon for a history lesson on the War of 1812. A good friend and fellow teacher prepared the children by teaching them the history of this war. The experience of being on a clipper ship turned the history lesson to life.
Here I am, wondering where my sunglasses and camera are! Mr. V.A. is the great photographer who took these shots.
My nephew!
Rachel, Bret and classmates. Rachel's reading pays off. I was amazed at how she answered all the questions like - what this old stale looking bread was - hardtack. How did they make it, why did they eat it, on and on. I guess that's why they say readers make leaders!
Well, enough of the memories, it's back to the closet for me!!! My hungry woodcutters will probably be arriving within the hour. I'm looking forward to having them home.

4 comments:

Mary and Jim said...

Great pictures- I know you have a very well-read and intelligent daughter! Reminds me of an overnight trip I went on to the C.A. Thayer in SF with Phillip's 5th grade class. And by the way- the trick with that closet is to NEVER look in the back. Stuff will stay there for years and you will never miss it.

Six in our Crew said...

Yes, the closet. How did you know? I've got the front cleared and everything else well hidden in the back! Good enough for now!

Emily Campbell said...

I want to take the kids to see one of those ships this year! I love when history comes to life!

Basnight said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. What a great opportunity that was for our kids. It made a big impression, evidenced in a conversation my kids had around the dinner table a few months ago. It started out as political discussion on drilling oil and some where got to wars and that the US has never lost one. Then that led to The War of 1812 and Emily commenting that that was James Madison's war and how the biggest battle was actually fought after it had ended but due to poor communication the combatants didn't know it was over!
What a bunch of home school nerds! Er, I mean reader leaders;-)