Friday, November 14, 2008

It's a Little Nutty Around Here!

We have the most beautiful walnut tree right outside our back door! It's also the biggest mess maker we have in the yard! The boys and I arrived home from an ortho. appointment and I could stand it no longer. I told the boys we have to speed up the process of this nut dropping! They were happy to oblige. With helmets to protect their heads from falling nuts and "long sticks" they batted away at the tree and managed to get all of the low nuts off! We picked up three bags full of nuts and swept up two wagon loads full of leaves! Wade assures me that a strong wind will do the rest :)! However with temperatures in the 70's, I'm not sure when that strong wind is going to come! Armed and ready!
This is fun!

Watch out for falling nuts!

Every evening we've been cracking a few. Bret is the pro nut cracker in the house!

We're so happy to have a walnut tree!!
This is the reward my boys earned! Persimmon cookies with walnuts! This was Mae Crew's recipe. Quite tasty! We found out we have a persimmon tree too! Makes it handy - since I would never pay $1.00 a piece for them in the store!

6 comments:

Mary and Jim said...

Go in the garage and look up- on the wires/cross beam. There should be a bamboo knocking pole!

Six in our Crew said...

Thank you! I guess we look pretty silly with our broom!

What did you do with all the nuts?

Mary and Jim said...

Froze the, gave them away, and by the last couple of years, the dogs ate most of what fell off!

Six in our Crew said...

Frisbee's not interested in eating them, but Lilly left some out of shell for Callie and she seemed to like them!

gma said...

I remember cracking walnuts as a kid - I wasn't very fond of that task! So good job kids!!

Anonymous said...

Grandpa craked walnuts for me and
I still have a ton in the freezer.
I guess by me not using them I feel
like he is still here with me.
The same reason I have kept the last peice of candy your Mom gave me years ago. Enjoy the fruits of
your labor. Cookies look yummy.