After Shoshone Falls we headed to our campsite in American Falls. I was excited to stay here because of the history. This spot was right along the Oregon Trail. It gained its name by some Indian skirmishes. The rocks were amazing and a good spot for the Indians to hide. There were immigrants killed, but not enough to really call it a massacre. Still, the name caught my attention and I think that's the point.

There were several hikes. I chose first and looking at the map, it looked like we could loop into several. We need to rewrite their maps. After walking 1/2 mile we found a sign that said our trail was 1 mile away. Oops! Well, it was important to me. We were going to see wagon tracks left by immigrants on the Oregon Trail. I said we could do it, so we did....


Lilly had her moments. To be fair - we all did!

Walking on the Oregon Trail.


Another trail, along the Snake River.


This is Register Rock. Here the immigrants carved their names into rocks as they came through.

Look close. This boy - J.J. Hansen also sketched an Indian head near his signature.

Very cool rocks. Good hiding places for Indians, and fun climbing for kids!
1 comment:
I'm loving all your pics and posts! I can't wait to make a trip like this!
Post a Comment