Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy Ground Hog Day

This morning our family opened up our Atlas, Almanac and other various interesting library books.  I read a fun story about the Liberty Bell - fitting, because we were studying the state of Pennsylvania.  We filled in our notebooks with facts and details about the state.  I quizzed them on events we've studied in prior history lessons that had to do with the state.  We were wrapping it up when I decided to look at one more book...
What do you know?  It's Groundhog Day!  What state does Punxsutawney Phil live in?  None other than Pennsylvania!  
Here's what we learned about Groundhog Day - the first celebration was on February 2, 1886.  The townsfolk had a celebration that day and waited to see if Phil would see his shadow.  They'd been watching him for years before that and decided that Phil could forecast the weather.  If he saw his shadow on February 2nd it would be six more weeks of winter.  If not, spring would soon arrive!  Well today he saw his shadow.  A welcome relief to the dry Californians!!

We also learned that Pittsburgh is a big manufacturer of steel - now we get it -Pittsburgh Steelers!  We remembered that the Declaration of Independence was signed in Philadelphia in 1776.  I explained why the Pennsylvania Dutch are not really Dutch, and we drooled over pictures of Hershey Kisses coming off an assembly line!
Happy Groundhog Day!

2 comments:

Emily Campbell said...

What a great history lesson...I wish I was there! I going to have to come up one of these days and just sit in on your day. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with all the choices.

Six in our Crew said...

I think your much more organized. I know the Lord in His kind way knew I'd get a kick out of everything coinciding - so He allowed me to see it all, even though I'd plan for none of it!!